American Trucking Associations announced Wednesday that it had named 18 truck drivers to represent the industry as America’s Road Team.
The truck drivers were selected from 34 finalists who competed this week before a panel of judges. The competition tested drivers’ knowledge of the trucking industry and communication skills and review their community service and safety records, ATA said in a statement.
â€œThese ambassadors to the industry have remarkable safe driving records and an unmatched enthusiasm for their job and for the industry,â€� Bill Graves, president of ATA, said in the statement.
The drivers, all known in ART as captains, will travel around the United States for the next two years as representatives of the trucking industry, ATA said. They will speak at community events, schools and gatherings to the community, news media, public officials and fellow truck drivers, among others.
The following drivers were selected:
• Willie Atkinson, Con-way Freight
• Gary G. Babbitt, Central Freight Lines
• Joe Allen Boyd, Wal-Mart Transportation
• David Boyer, ABF Freight System
• Randall Dee Briggs, YRC Inc.
• Danny Fuller, Con-way Freight
• Samuel Douglas Lee, Old Dominion Freight Line
• Alphonso Lewis, YRC Inc.
• Kenny Lowry, Wal-Mart Transportation
• Dennis Martin, UP
• Nate McCarty, ABF Freight System
• Tim McElwaney, ABF Freight System
• Roger L. Nicholson, UPS Freight
• J.W. Ray, Werner Enterprises
• Dion Saiz, FedEx Freight
• Jeffrey Wade, Southeastern Freight Lines
• Brooks Washburn, FedEx Freight
• Robert L. Weller, Hahn Transportation
Â© 2010, Transport Topics Publishing Group. All rights reserved.
Transport America Buys Southern Cal Transport (1/13/2011 3:00:00 PM)
ATA Names Drivers to Americaâ€™s Road Team (1/12/2011 9:45:00 AM)
Snowstorm to Hit Northeast with 9 to 18 Inches (1/11/2011 3:00:00 PM)
Opinion: Enlarging the â€˜Circle of Safetyâ€™ (1/11/2011 8:00:00 AM)
DEF Dispensers to Be Installed at 50 TravelCenters Truck Stops (1/10/2011 3:00:00 PM)
HOS Proposal Raises Ire on All Sides of Issue (1/10/2011 5:00:00 AM)
OTHER NEWS BRIEFS